Friday, October 16, 2015

Avery's Nursery

As soon as I found out I was pregnant, I could not wait to start decorating the nursery. I had always imagined that it would be so much fun decorating a space for a little one. 

We live in a two bedroom apartment, which pre-baby, had plenty of space for the two of us. It's amazing how much space a seven pound baby takes up! Before Avery, our second bedroom was a guest bedroom, as well as, Justin's home office. Justin works from home for about half the day so it is important that he has a space of his own. It was a little tricky putting together a nursery in half of a small room, but we managed to make it work.

I knew regardless of if we were having a boy or a girl, that I wanted more of a neutral color palette for the nursery. Personally, I think it's absurd to spend money on big ticket baby items that are gender specific. I wanted to make sure that things like the crib, stroller and carseat had more of a neutral color, something classic, that we could use again, regardless of if our next child is a boy or a girl.


The walls of our apartment are already painted a golden cream sort of color, if that description even makes sense! I wanted to play off that that color with dark wood, creams and white with accents of gold and muted pink. 


I didn't waste any money on a crib set as I am all about that safe sleep. No comforter or bumpers for my babe! For the crib, we bought and registered for various fitted sheets, this ruffle crib skirt, and I usually rotate draping different blankets that were made by family and friends for Avery over the side. Avery is still sleeping in a bassinet in our bedroom, but when she transitions to sleeping in her crib at night, we'll make sure the blankets are put away.


When we move into a house, I would love to do an entire gallery wall in Avery's room, but with limited space, I stuck to a mini gallery. The 'A' initial, the gold print, and the gold sunburst were all found at Hobby Lobby. I stalked Hobby Lobby for ever just for that print, and when it finally went on sale, I was one happy lady. The butterfly picture is from Ikea. It was the very first item I bought for the nursery the weekend we found out we were having a girl.

I made the dreamcatcher mobile myself. It was super easy! All you need is an embroidery hoop, gold string, fishing wire, craft feathers, the paint color of your choice, and glitter. Aves loves it! When she's hanging out in her crib after a nap, she'll just stare and smile at it. 


I was really against a traditional changing table. For one, it would have taken up room we just don't have. But it is also one of those baby items I find unnecessary. You spend an arm and a leg on a changing table that you use for a short amount of time, and then what do you do with it? I loved the idea of getting a dresser with a changing table top and then creating my own little changing table station.

I found a wire wall organizer at Home Goods that I loved for a diaper caddy. It's super convenient and holds diapers perfectly. I put up a couple simple shelves that match the dresser and crib to hold random things like lotions, wipes, and diaper ointment. Putting up the smaller shelf was a bit of debacle and there may be a very large hole behind it, which is why I only put her moccasins on it. I'm pretty sure if I tried to put anything heavier on it, the whole wall would collapse. I found a few hooks that I put up to hold her headbands.

While it can get a little crowded and messy having Avery's nursery and Justin's office in the same room, it can be pretty nice. We spend a lot of time together as a family in that room; while Justin's working Avery and I will hang out on the floor, reading books or doing tummy time. However, I am looking forward to the day that we move out of this apartment into a home of our own. I have visions of creating a reading corner for Avery, filled with lots of books and a teepee with comfy pillows and blankets. I always wanted a little space growing up where I could get away and get lost in books. I can't wait to create something like that for Avery that she can grow into.

source
How absolutely beautiful is that teepee. It will be Avery's one day!

I had so much fun putting together Avery's nursery while I was pregnant, and I am even more excited to add to her room as she grows. It will be so fun to see how her little personality is reflected in her space.

Happy Friday, everyone!

3 comments:

  1. Ahh I need a reading corner like that for myself to curl up and read this Nicholas Sparks book this weekend! Love Avery's nursery!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such an adorable nursery! I love that you went gender neutral with the big ticket stuff, such a smart money-saving option. Even though it's a small space, it's beautifully done and I love the dark woods and golds you did. Hobby lobby for the win, they have awesome stuff!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE LOVE LOVEE what you did with her nurser, it is so dang adorable! Especially that mobile, I am dying at the feather and glitter (my favorite things!) Great job Mama!

    ReplyDelete