Tuesday, November 3, 2015

A Week in Review

Well hello! It's been a minute since I've last posted. But for good reason! Last week, I was adjusting to going back to work. Let me start by saying, I give all of you mamas who work full time outside the home so much credit. Aside from the fact that it was terribly hard for me to be away from Avery, it was hard going to work, coming home to do my mama duties, and still trying to get dinner on the table every night and keep the house clean... and I'm only going back to work part-time! Let's just say that come Saturday, this house looked like a bomb exploded. I'm hoping this week will be a little bit easier.

As I mentioned in my last post, last week was a great week to go back to work because it was Sephoraween! A week dedicated to Halloween makeup looks. We had some really fun themes this year and spending time in the morning creating Halloween looks took my mind off the fact that I was going to be away from Aves (can you tell we're attached at the hip?!). 


My first day back at work, the theme was Disney Villain, so I channeled my inner Scar from The Lion King and created a more realistic look, as opposed to turning myself into a lion, and I think it worked! I had many clients ask if the scar I created around my left eye was real. We also did Comic Book day where I turned myself into a pop art comic book character -- super simple and easy to do with black liquid liner. And then my favorite day, Horror Day! I may have mentioned I'm really not into Halloween or anything gory, but Horror Day is always my favorite day of Sephoraween. This year, I wanted to keep my makeup pretty glam and create some special effects scratches across my face. For my first time playing around with a special effects makeup look, I think it turned out pretty good! I just used materials I already had on hand: tissue, lash glue, eyeshadow, and LipTar. It was a lot of fun to create, but taking a ton of lash glue off my face was obnoxious!


After all of that Halloween makeup and playing around with some facecharts during the week, my brushes were so dirty. I also should probably mention that it had been way too long since I last washed my brushes. Dare I say, before maternity leave?! In my defense, I rarely wore a full face of makeup during maternity leave, so my brushes didn't see a lot of action, but regardless, you should wash your brushes every two week. Do as I say, not as I do!


I'm so happy I found this winter hat for Avery from Carters. I didn't realize how hard it would be to find a thick, winter hat for a baby! There are a ton out there for toddlers but hardly any for babies, and let's not mention that the hats that are out there for babies are not cute! If you're in need of a nice, warm hat for your babe, hit up Carters. This one is on sale for $10!

A side note about this picture; shortly after I took it, Aves rolled over for the first time! I was trying to catch it on video, as I could tell she was getting really close to figuring it out. I got the dreaded full memory warning on my phone, and as I was making room on my phone, she rolled over. Of course, she refused to do it again, until last night. She rolled over five times in a row and I finally got it on video. It's so much fun watching her learn and grow!


Aves new favorite thing is putting her fingers in my mouth while she's falling asleep. She's starting to learn how to reach out and grab things, something our dog Riley still isn't too fond of! It's funny watching her try to have some sort of coordination with her arms and hands. Sometimes, she'll reach out to grab a toy or our noses and her arms and hands will go in the complete opposite direction. Watching a baby gain control and coordination of their body is like watching a drunk person -- pretty entertaining!

I'm excited for the day off of work today to snuggle my baby, work on some Ivy & Grace things, and make my way to Starbucks to get my first red cup of the season. Christmas is, hands down, my favorite time of the year, and as soon as Halloween is over, I'm ready to celebrate! It's really exciting that this year is Avery's first Thanksgiving and Christmas. I can't wait to start some fun family traditions with her!

Let's hope that this week gives me enough time to write a few more blog posts!
Happy Tuesday!

2 comments:

  1. Loved your makeup looks girl! Aves looks adorable in that hat. Yay for baby snuggling, enjoy your day off mama. The holidays are my favorite so I bet it's more exciting with a baby!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jsimps! I'm so proud of what you're doing! I know it wasn't easy going back to work but you're killing it at Sephora! Who would have thought senior year at Sparbs you would go from wanting to be a baby snatcher to living the life at Sephora?

    ReplyDelete